Thursday, January 8, 2009

Outsmarted By Moose

I know moose get a lot of bad press for being rather unintelligent animals. Even though they are the largest member of the deer family, they are thought of as closer to a cow. Lets face it, they just walk around and chew on leaves and grass, and look at you as if they are trying to tolerate you. Pretty cow-like, you have to admit. Well, now I am starting to think that they are much more devious than they appear. The local moose love my trees. I have two crab apple trees, one in the front yard and one in the back. The last few winters, the moose have come and visited me throughout the chilly days, delicately eating the leaves. Well, Hannah and her son Morris are delicate. Bob pretty much clamps down on the the branch near the trunk, slides his mouth down the branch to remove all the leaves at once, and then chomps away on them. I normally sit on my porch and take pictures of them. They have tolerated this pretty well throughout the years. Apparently they have reached their photographic limits. Now they are sneaking into the yard between 10 pm and 5 am to eat. I know this because there are tracks in the yard, but I never seem to see the moose. Sneaky little devils. I have hopes of catching them in the act soon. Until then, here are some pictures from last winter. Handsome Bob, Gorgeous Hannah, and hunky little Morris. They are a good looking group, even if they are camera shy.
Oh, wait! I forgot to mention that the high today is 1! Whoohoo! Spring is on the way! Warm weather! (Kind of pathetic, I know, but it's the little things in life that make you really happy!)

No comments: