Thursday, March 19, 2009

Pets Run The Show

It turns out that I am not the only human being trained by their pets. Who knew? Just about everyone up here seems to have a dog. (Not me. We'll stick to the cats right now. Less maintenance!) They also take their dogs everywhere. In any parking lot, you can see them sitting in the vehicles, longingly looking toward to door through which their masters have disappeared. The other day, I was running some errands and ended up at the Bx and Commissary. As I got out of the van, I heard a car alarm going off one aisle over. I glanced in that direction and didn't see anyone around the car, so ignored it. It went silent, and then started again. At this time, I was about even with the vehicle, so I looked inside. There on the drivers seat was a German shepherd, grinning happily and looking for his owner. He would sit still while the alarm was going off and just look toward the store. When it stopped, he started jumping up and down in the seat until he set it off again. When when it started to beep, he would sit and wait. I have a feeling he's done this before. He did it three times that I saw. I would imagine it hurries up his owners shopping. I wonder if he give his human a treat when he responds quickly to his signal. Good human. Good boy.

No comments: