Monday, April 27, 2009

GPS Lost In Cyberspace

We bought a GPS last year because we thought that we were going to drive from Anchorage to wherever in the lower 48 we were meant to end up. Does the hubby think that we need a GPS unit? Not really. But the wife thinks that they are really cool. I admit that I didn't do a lot of research. I know about two brands...Garmin and TomTom. The TomTom was on sale, so guess which one we ended up with. I got the basic model, nothing fancy. It covers the US and Canada. What more do you need? Apparently western Europe. No problem. I can go online, purchase and download the proper maps and we'll be all set. It's so easy, ANYONE can do it. So I go to the TomTom website and shop for a map. I can get western Europe for $59. Seems pretty reasonable. I click on it, and it offers me a bonus. For a mere $10 more, I can get central and western Europe. You can see where this is going. Bargain...sold. I click on it and proceed to the checkout. This is where things get dicey. It says that I don't have an account with them. Yes, I do. No, you don't. Fine, I'll create a new account. Sorry, that e-mail address is taken because there is an account using it. No duh, that's my account that you said didn't exist. Wrong password, then. Fine, I'll reset it. (Reset it to the same blooming password that it had originally! That will show you!) Sign in and am greeted cordially. You are from the United Kingdom, it says. Nope, United States. United Kingdom. No, United States. Sorry, you don't have an account with us, you need to sign up for one to sign in. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST WANT TO GET A MAP!!!! Then it occurs to me. Do I really want a map from someone who can't even operate their own website? I can see it now...Brussels is 7 km to the north. No...wait! It's 18 km to the east. Ha! There is no such thing as Brussels. Got Ya! You don't even have an account! I'm tired of screaming at the computer. The darn GPS goes back in the box until the hubby can look at it. It's lucky if it doesn't end up in the landfill. I wonder if I can find a Garmin on sale...

No comments: